Linda Freeman - Story Quilts with Text

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 30 2004 - 06:43:40 PDT

Greetings Art Educators,

I know most of you USA teachers are familiar with the
work of Faith Ringgold now (links on my African
American Artist page).... but you may not be familiar
with the work of Linda Freeman. Christine Besack
posted an exhibit at Southern Miss (going on now
through Oct 2). Linda's name was familiar to me...but
wasn't sure why. She is the producer of many of the
African American (and other artist) films we have
enjoyed.

Here is some of Linda's work:
http://www.landsvideo.com/lfreeman_01.htm

and here is a "taste" of the exhibit (pdf file
catalog):
http://www.landsvideo.com/guestbook_01.htm

Art in Context page for Linda Freeman is no longer
there- I did find that she is also a co-author of many
books.

Still browsing....These two PBS videos look good:
http://www.pbs.org/americaquilts/index.html
A Century of Quilts and American Quilts - anyone seen
them?

I will be adding these links to the paper quilt lesson
plan....and adding a twist to my water color torn
paper landscape lesson. I am wondering now if you can
use studio paper to transfer text onto the watercolor
papers? Of coures you would have to reverse the type.
I'll have to play with the idea.

This is the exhibit Christine posted:
http://www.usm.edu/arts/seasons/museum04_05.php

Christine is workig on Monoprint lessons with her
students...and she is tying in paper
quilts/quiltmaking with that lesson. I love it when
Chirstine surfs for ideas...she always finds some good
ones!

Regards,

Judy Decker

=====