Re: Is it just me?( a short rant by veteran teacher)

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 30 2004 - 05:08:48 PDT

>"why does Art have to be justified as a class at all,

>Mahalo,
>Cathy
>Honolulu, HI

Cathy...I take it...that the administrator values the religious overtones of
the catholic education there. Seems to me...this administrator has never
read the good number of books out there on the importance of art from the
Christian perspective, for our culture's sake...the churche's, the
individuals and so forth. He risks sending the message that we withdraw
from culture rather than engage and and take part in it. Very dangerous
precedence...

There are many good ones...such as-
"Art Needs No Justification" by Hans Rookmacher

John Fischer's "Fearless Faith- Living Beyond the Walls of Safe
Christianity" (more for the artist striving to survive in the "safe" church
mindset)

"For Glory and For Beauty- Practial Perspectives on Christianity and the
Visual Arts" by Kirk Richards and Stephen Gjertson...(this one should get
his attention on the importance of the arts in his school)-
http://www.kirkrichards.com/glorypage.htm

"The Christian, the Arts and Truth" by Frank Gaebelein...(might be hard to
find...but so so good! Search Amazon)

Larry S.

---