Re: plaster sculpture

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 29 2004 - 09:32:13 PDT

Ideas for plaster sculpture.

I could used up 300 lbs of plaster in no time...
When I taught high school sculpture (late 1970s), I
did waste molds - reusable molds - and relief molds. I
had a barrel of clay that was ONLY to be used for
making the models. I kept it separate from the clay
for ceramics. It would take me hours to write the
lessons. I would suggest you get a couple good books
on sculpture. Relief cast molds are probably the
easiest to do. We did shoe polish/wax patinas and
bronze patinas.

The plaster squeezed into balloons might be a fun
idea. Use dishwashing detergent bottles to squeeze the
plaster into the balloons... Just be prepared in case
some balloons slip off the bottle (wear old clothes).
Thes make interesting "Arp" (or Hepworth) shapes that
can be combined together - or used separately. The
cast shapes come out very smooth - we just clear
coated these (left white). We mounted ours with dowel
rods into a wood base (dowels and base painted black).
Let me know if you try this idea.

Happy sculpting.

Judy Decker