Re: Is it just me?( a short rant by veteran teacher)

---------

From: C Kerch (ckerch_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 29 2004 - 02:41:42 PDT

AMEN! Marcia you said it!!

I'm really tired of having to justify my program to my Administration and
living on the edge. Yesterday, I finally got a copy of my teaching contract
and I noticed that I was listed as a Probationary Teacher. Probationary, I
couldn't believe it after being labelled as Full Time in previous years...
so I went to my administrator and asked what was up. The reply shocked the
b-jesus out of me. I was told that because I switched from teaching
Religion, which was a CORE subject at our Catholic School to Art, which is
an elective, I was now deemed an "at-will" employee. What does that mean...
well it means that I can be fired at any time without cause. I nearly
crapped in my pants hearing those words. I was then told that because I
have a lower enrollment of students this year for my 6th grade Art class
that I will need to justify the need for an Art program for that grade
level. Talk about being hit with a frying pan then kicked in the groin. I
just stood there looking at my administrator shaking my head and asking the
question "why does Art have to be justified as a class at all, it is just as
important in the overall development of a child as any other subject and
isn't it the whole child that we are here to teach." What happen to the
good o' days when art was taught in every classroom not as an elective but
part of the overall curriculum... god, how I long for those days. ((sorry
for the rant))

Mahalo,
Cathy
Honolulu, HI