Help- Inservice ideas!

---------

From: Heather Leal (rayleal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 28 2004 - 12:08:19 PDT

Hi-
I could really use some help-
I have to present an inservice workshop session for teachers in the
"Applied Arts" in my district. Applied arts is just what they decided
to call us- we are being grouped by subject area and they have lumped
all electives and PE teachers together- so it is every subject from PE,
to Visual Art, Drama, Music, Technology, etc. The teachers will all be
from grades 6-8 or high school.
My assigned topic is Homework and Practice. We are supposed to use the
book, " Classroom Instruction that Works" by Robert Marzano.
The book identifies 3 purposes for Homework- practice, prepare for new
info, and enhance info already introduced.
The only homework I really give are sketchbook packets, which are
reasonably successful, but not entirely to be sure.
I am also supposed to have a hands on activity, plan on 40 in a
session, repeat the session 3 times. Sessions are 1 hr. 15 min. long.
I am supposed to demonstrate how to differentiate this for English
Language learners of all levels, special needs, and honors students.
Oh- and show how it can be adapted to different subject areas, since we
are all together.
All this by this Thursday- I was asked to do it 2 days ago-- what I
really wonder now is why I said yes!
Any suggestions would be appreciated- I really don't want to provide
yet again another worthless inservice hour-
Thank you!!
Heather

---