Re: Anyone going to SCREAM this year?Linda

---------

From: Sandy Bacon (sbacon_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 28 2004 - 07:57:15 PDT

Linda,

I love your idea about the Scream chair!!! Do you mind if I try something like that myself? I will be sure to let folks know in my school that it was not my original idea and credit you with all the cleverness.

We have as one of our goals as a school this year to create a peaceful, respectful environment with a great sense of community and pride. The children last year, for whatever reason, were really off track behavior wise -- I think , unfortunately, it was a matter of children coming from homes where communication is screaming, non-existent, or television, and they have not learned or been taught how to share their feelings or release their anger any way but through violence. These are elementary kids and we have always been a very loving school where folks ask special permission to come.

I think this idea of the Scream chair would be excellent in my art room, especially because there are probalby 30 wooden library chairs about to be discarded. At Thursday's staff meeting we decided that each classroom would take at least one chair and paint it with some kind of theme in mind. We are thinking that they can be auctioned or raffled off to raise money for a charitable school project. I suggested we also display them in the public library to stir more interest and boost the kids' esteems. Monday is our first day with kids and they are staggered starts with only a few children coming from each class so reading assessments can be done. I'm going to have 7 chairs, one on each art table, ready and waiting to be sanded and primed. I want the kids to do a chair in the style of or about a particular artist.

It's amazing how on this list something always fits by coinkydink what I have in mind.

Please let me know if it's okay,

Sandy

---