Principles

---------

From: Jean Womack (jeaneger_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 27 2004 - 09:21:30 PDT

I told my kids that interior decorators used the color principles to plan
rooms and that they needed sometthing they knew would work. If they want
something that looks good, then they know these design principles work.
That got all the girls in the class. Everyone wants to look good, even
though these kids all had to wear uniforms, so we couldn't apply the color
principles to clothing..

Also, a big part of the grade was the "Do Now" on the board at the beginning
of class, which was the notes on the principles and elements. I guess that
was more coercion than motivation.

I have been intending to paint a painting using some of the designer color
schemes in the color books I have, but haven't had the time to do it yet.
It's all I can do to get out to the coast and paint cliffs and rocks. Also,
my eyesight is going south. I will have cataract surgery in November. I'll
be lucky if I can find my way across the street by then, it's going so
quickly. Looking out of my right eye, it looks like a smudge on my glasses
that follows me around everywhere. In bright light, the words on the dark
street signs disappear. At noon, at the coast, with the white watercolor
pad on my lap, everything is only two values. I always thought that when a
person went blind, everything got dark, but it's the opposite: it all goes
to light. I hope it isn't the computer screen that did all this damage. I
also hope it's not the breast cancer come back to take up residency in my
eyes.

Jean Womack

---