Is it just me?

---------

From: Christine Merriam (ktownart_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 27 2004 - 07:52:43 PDT

Hi all,
This week I was in a meeting with classroom teachers.
We had to examine the test scores. The Stanford 9 or
SAT for our schools went down last year. In fact test
scores in the state of Arizona are going down.
One trend I have seen in education, due to NCLB, is a
knee jerk "We have to teach reading writing, and math
and the rest of the subject areas, especially those
not measured on standardized tests can take a cut. I
know I am teaching more students (2 schools instead
of one) an accomplishing a great deal less.
Our students are WHOLE PEOPLE. How can we, as a
minority of art educators get the point across to
administrators that their almighty scores reflect a
WHOLE EDUCATION?
Let the ideas flow!
Thanks,
Chris Merriam