Ps and Es (MS thru HS)

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 27 2004 - 06:31:49 PDT

Dear ArtsEdNetters,

Try an experiment sometime...Go around and ask an art
question to teachers/adults in your building....See if
they can give you a right answer. I gave them a "Mona
Buck" if they got it right.

I would tell my students they were already smarter in
ART than most of the people in our building....and
would challenge them to come up with a question to
"stump" whoever they thought was the smartest person
in the building. Of course they would say "Why you are
the smartest person, Mrs Decker" To my knowledge -
none of my students tried to stump a teacher with an
art question.

I did enjoy hearing the high school art teachers
complain that my kids "didn't know anything"... I
would reply - "Well that isn't my goal. My goal is to
fill your classes" (grin)....as they also complained
that their classes were too big (chuckles). My kids
did make wonderful art -- and that was also a goal --
and for ALL of them to make art.

Anyways.... When I wanted my student to write about
art - I gave them "cheat sheets". I only have one
online - for 8th grade Renaissance unit. I don't have
the descriptive word list on computer file...but it
was a page full of adjectives (to make their wrting
more exciting). Kids picked a list of words they could
apply to their own work and image they chose.

Here is the Renaissance one:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/Lessons/8renexam.htm

This was used with this lesson:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/Lessons/8renpaint.htm
I don't have any of the more "parody" type images on
the lesson. Someday I may search for those. One of my
Favorites was a Madonna - with the girls mother as the
Madonna - holding the family dog (using photograph of
girl's mother and photograph of the dog). The painting
had many digital images added in the background (her
house was one of them) and was embellished with puffy
paints... The girl was inspired by Chris Ofili.

Regards,

Judy Decker