Crayola conversation

---------

From: Edith Titus (erthompson_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 27 2004 - 05:40:53 PDT

This message is not flagged. [ Flag Message - Mark as Unread ]

Date:Mon, 20 Oct 2003 09:16:33 -0500 (Central Daylight Time)To:erthompson@yahoo.comFrom:support@crayola.com Add to Address BookSubject:crayon colors and accuracy [Incident: 031009-000023] [input] [input] [input] [input]
Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line supportcenter. Below is a summary of your request and our response.Subject---------------------------------------------------------------crayon colors and accuracyDiscussion Thread---------------------------------------------------------------Response (CHRIS MANN) - 10/20/2003 09:16 AMDear Edith,Thank you for your e-mail regarding several color names of our CRAYOLA crayons. We are pleased to learn you would like to reference Crayola crayons in your lesson plans. Your comments about an art theory box of crayons are appreciated. Most of our color names are taken from the Universal Color Language and Dictionary of Names published by the U.S. Bureau of Standards. We use this reference guide because everyone sees and expresses color differently. Using the Universal dictionary as a base, we can refer to a standard color system and color names. Many of the crayons found in the Crayola 16 and 24 count boxes are needed for
 educational purposes in teaching color theory, while many artists and children prefer the assortment of colors that are found in our larger boxes.There are many color theories and systems that exist and there are various sources that are not all uniform. One particular reference shows 2 different theories. Color theory can be introduced on an elementary level and continue to a very advanced level. It depends on the age and skill level of the individuals. While this may differ from what you know as traditional color theory we do not name our colors based on this. As stated above, our basic colors come from the Universal Color Language and Dictionary of Names published by the U.S. Bureau of Standards. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to e-mail back or call (800) 272-9652 weekdays between 9:00 AM and 4:00 PM Eastern Time.We welcome and value all feedback received from our consumers and hope you will continue to explore Crayola.com!Customer (Entered by CHRIS
 MANN) - 10/10/2003 07:05 AMThis feedback is about:http://www.crayola.com/scripts/rightnow.cfg/php.exe/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=284.color theory states the primary color name comes first....and your not abbiding by the rules. It becomes very confusing for kids when were teaching for students when a major company is not abbiding to the rule...your color names are not accurate either. i have in front of me crayola color green -yellow based upon your statement it should be mostly green with a little yellow the actual color when using it is mostly yellow. Red - violet when using it appears more violet. and orange - yellow looks yellow with no orange at all,and violet - red looks magenta ...please stick to the color theory your making art a joke.Auto-Response - 10/09/2003 11:30 AMWow! Did you know the Crayola brand is 100 this year? Check out our Centennial Celebration page at www.crayola100.com!Customer (Edith Thompson) - 10/09/2003 11:30 AMI am an art teacher and I just opened a new
 box of crayons and found violet-red and green-yellow ... Art color theory states that the primary color name must always come first... plus the colors are very off. The yellow-green is accurate however,the green-yellow implies that it would be more green than yellow and it is not accurate. The red violet is more like regular violet and the violet-red is more like pink or magenta. Please correct the crayons... it is very difficult to teach art when a major company produces incorrectly named colors. It should be magenta, cyan, yellow as the primary colors (red and blue should be there too). Green, orange, and violet are known as the secondary colors. The intermediate/tertiary colors (with the primary name first) are red-violet, blue-green, red -orange, blue-violet, yellow-green, and yellow-orange. There are additionally 3 properties of color HUE, VALUE AND INTENSITY. Which means that there would be lights and darks of each color I.e. light magenta, dark magenta, light blue
 -green and dark blue-green. Additionally, neutral colors; black, gray, white, brown, tan , kaki. Please correct the crayons and maybe produce a "correctly labeled colors for the use in art theory in a box of 50 crayons".... Art teachers around the world will buy this over the others. Thank you.Edith ThompsonAdditionally color wheels should be made using the 3 color mixing primary colors magenta,cyan, and yellow. Thanks again=)If this issue is not resolved to your satisfaction, you may reopen itwithin the next 7 days.Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.You may also update this question by replying to this message. Becauseyour reply will be automatically processed, you MUST enter your replyin the space below. Text entered into any other part of this messagewill be discarded.[===> Please enter your reply below this line <===][===> Please enter your reply above this line <===]If your issue remains unresolved, please update this question
 athttp://www.crayola.com/scripts/rightnow.cfg/php.exe/enduser/acct_login.php?p_userid=erthompson@yahoo.com&p_next_page=myq_upd.php&p_refno=031009-000023&p_created=1065717001Question Reference #031009-000023--------------------------------------------------------------- Category: Product Questions Sub-Category: General QuestionsContact Information: erthompson@yahoo.com Date Created: 10/09/2003 11:30 AM Last Updated: 10/20/2003 09:16 AM Status: Solved Product_Category: CrayonsColorfully yours,BINNEY & SMITH INC.Christine MannConsumer Affairs Representative