Re: Schedules

---------

From: marcia (marciadotcom_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 26 2004 - 16:09:06 PDT

I teach middle school, so the kids come to me on their own. I think it will be okay though now. We had our first day of "regular schedule" and I made it through! I just went as quickly as I could to the bathroom and made it back in time. Once I get the kids into a routine of being in their seats ready to go when the bell rings it will be ok for me to run out in between classes. We've had TONS of scheduling problems this year (the two administrators who made the schedule for this year left their jobs at the end of last year and now the new admins. are scrambling to fix all the glitches.) I know my new principal would sympathesize with me, but he has so many other more pertinent scheduling problems to worry about. I was told by a few teachers that having 5 classes in a row violates our contract, but I feel it is too late to do anything about it now. I'll just deal with it now. I eat lunch at the same time as the 8th graders, which is at about 12:50. Pretty late, :) ! The poor
 kids have 6 classes in the morning, lunch, then 2 more classes.

"When I have a lot of sections together and have to go to the bathroom...I
call the office and one of our secretaries comes down. I have on ocassion asked
the teacher dropping off to stay with the kids a minute or 2 or 3 so I can run
to the bathroom. Most teachers are sympathetic to the problem as they have
similar problems. You could also ask your principal how it is handled...5
hours without a break...I don't think that is legal anyway. When do you have
lunch?"