RE: Principles?

---------

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 26 2004 - 11:32:17 PDT

Hi Michelle,
I really don't teach the principles as 'principles'. Last year I came up
with a sheet to use with analyzing art work - kind of a web design with
focal point in the middle and a 'how do you know?'.. which led to a
backwards guided inquiry to the elements and principles.

They really don't have to proclaim an interest in art to have exposure to
the principles. It is just another form of classification, attribute
identification system that they are given.

I also use a lot of Venn diagrams and some 'one of these things is not like
the other' to highlight where I want them to go....

As someone said, use their interests and lead them - the AHA moment at the
end is great.

Ellen in Ky.

PS - as dry as the above activities sound - the kids are really engaged, and
it is fun.

> Does anyone have any lesson plans or ideas for teaching basic art
> principles to kids who don't have an interest in art and are being
> required to take an art class?

---