Re: collecting images?

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (smiller_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 25 2004 - 12:29:17 PDT

I have done this where my classes spend a week and find images from
magazines I have and if they don't like them, ones they bring in. They
have to have 5 each of faces, whole people, animals, plants, landscapes,
architecture, black and white and something of their choice. I
encourage them to get page sized photos, but of course it depends on
what kind of magazines you have. If they have smaller pix they glue
them to a plain page. They organize by category and can just staple
them or can use some kind of binder. I have a horrible time getting
kids to bring in things like a binder. You could just make a simple
folder out of construction paper. I have a giant picture file of images
I like, so I show it to them. I always grade every assignment. If you
do this, you should give some assignments later where they need to get
out their picture file and use it somehow in the lesson (get a high
contrast black and white photo and without drawing, paint the shadows
with black tempera to see the shapes of shadows, do gesture drawings of
your people, create a painting by using 3 different images from your
file-, get out your arch. and try to find the vanishing point, etc. )
The problem that I always see is that some of them get really small
photos that are useless--of course they aren't my good students. Sid

>>> bjcoxteachart@msn.com 08/24/2004 8:05:22 PM >>>
I have read in some posting in the past about having your students
collect images that inspire them for examples photos, quotes, etc. I
was wondering how do you work this into your lessons?

Do you give students time during class to look in magazine to find
images that they like? Or is this done outside of class?

How do the students organize them, in a folder or sketchbook?

Do the student receive points or a grade for these images?

I really like the idea and was thinking about starting it this year so
any suggestions would be helpful.

Blessing,
Joe

---