Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Animals in African Art - LOTS of images (Maggie and all)

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 23 2004 - 19:04:07 PDT

Greetings Art Educators,

Maggie White told me she is planning a unit on Animals
in Art - specifically African art....YIPPY!
I just did a search on the National Museum of African
Art page for birds and 70 images came up!
I have looked for fish in the past and already
"collected" all of the images I want there.

Here is a link to lesson materials that might interest
you, too:
See symbols and meaning - several animals listed.
This uses the exhibit: Africa: One Continent. Many
From Natural History Museum, Los Angeles.

These are all on my African Art Links page.

Maggie - I also have Animal Symbolism:

with many cultures meshed together. ( has more links
to African Symbols...I haven't checked all of them
yet. It is amazing where one broken link will take you
(grin). I repaired and found all sorts of

Judy Decker

Judy Decker
Incredible Art Department
Incredible Art Resources