Animals in African Art - LOTS of images (Maggie and all)

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 23 2004 - 19:04:07 PDT

Greetings Art Educators,

Maggie White told me she is planning a unit on Animals
in Art - specifically African art....YIPPY!
I just did a search on the National Museum of African
Art page for birds and 70 images came up!
http://www.nmafa.si.edu/pubaccess/pages/imgryfrm.htm
I have looked for fish in the past and already
"collected" all of the images I want there.

Here is a link to lesson materials that might interest
you, too:
http://www.calacademy.org/exhibits/africa/discover/classroom/index.html
See symbols and meaning - several animals listed.
This uses the exhibit: Africa: One Continent. Many
Worlds:
http://www.nhm.org/africa/
From Natural History Museum, Los Angeles.

These are all on my African Art Links page.
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/afrilink.htm

Maggie - I also have Animal Symbolism:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/animals.htm

with many cultures meshed together.

Symbols.net (http://www.symbols.net/) has more links
to African Symbols...I haven't checked all of them
yet. It is amazing where one broken link will take you
(grin). I repaired Symbols.net and found all sorts of
goodies.

Judy Decker

=====
Judy Decker