Birds in African Art - Lesson Idea - Online Africa Lessons

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 23 2004 - 11:25:07 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

I was searching for Korhogo cloth images today when I
came across some neat Senufo bird sculptures. I had
been familiar with the hornbill sculptures for quite
some time. I found these Sejen ones online today:

Senufo : The Sejen bird figures
http://www.tribalartforum.org/sejen_bird/sejen.html

I have added an African "twist" to my bird sculpture
lesson on IAD:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/birds.htm

Instead of mounting your paper mache bird (or ceramic
bird) with two long skinny legs - mount with one dowel
into a wood base and you have a symbol of
hard work for your classroom. I am going to make
another Senufo inspired bird for my garden. One can't
have too many birds (smile). My hubby and I
saw some of these (in Santa Fe) and liked them - I
just didn't know anything about them at the time.

The Marvin Bartel way would have you make abstract
bird/animal sculptures with the students - THEN show
the images. With cultures, I liked to teach about the
culture first and get the meaning across first. You
can do it either way with your students.

I would like to hear about it if anyone does African
inspired abstract sculptures.

In searching this topic - I found this Africa
resource. Exploring Africa from Michigan State
University
http://exploringafrica.matrix.msu.edu/index.html
I found the Yoruba Crown lesson and will link that on
my site.
http://exploringafrica.matrix.msu.edu/curriculum/lm12/stu_actone.html

I have Exploring Africa linked from African Art Links:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/afrilink.htm
(under Educational Resources).

Regards,

Judy Decker