Re: "Core Knowledge" concepts..

---------

From: Heidi McElroy (hmcelroy_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 22 2004 - 16:24:13 PDT

Hello all, and welcome back to another productive art-filled school year!

I'm at a new elementary this year which is dedicated to the "Core Knowledge"
curriculum. For those of you who may be unfamiliar with that (which until
recently, I was...) it's the philosophy started by Ed Hirsch (out of
Virginia?) regarding cultural literacy and what every American should know.
It's a tad controversial because of it's formula and western slant...etc.

My personal views aside, the reality is I'm at a "CK" school now and I need
to follow the program. I'm hoping to make some connections with other "Core
Knowledge" art teachers. I've found that there are some great resources on
the web, but managing pre-k through 5th (5 very distinct curricula)all at
once is a challenge.

As always, mil gracias!
Rx
---

The state of Virginia has Standards of Learning (SOLs) for all subjects.
Core classes at this point are English, History (Social Sciences), Math and
Science. No Child Left Behind should impact this , but art is not yet
considered "core". There are SOLs in Art for each grade level. You can view
them at the State Department of Education website in Virginia. Maybe this
will help you get started. Heidi in VA.

---