schedules

---------

From: jane mary (mjart49_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 22 2004 - 14:17:15 PDT

Hi Everyone,

As the beginning of school come closer, we start with kids on Wednesday, I am really concerned with my schedule.

This is it- I have 7- 30 min. classes - before lunch. For example, I have 3 -4th, 2- 2nd, and 2- 3rd on the first day. Then I have lunch (30 min,) and a 30 min. prep. Then I have 2- 1st grades.

We have 5 min. between each class. They consider this FREE time but by the time teachers pick up their kids, the next class is waiting to enter. There is no teacher bathroom on my side of the building. We have a "designated booth" in the kids bathroom.

This is my 18th year in this district, so the 30 min. classes are not new to me, I can handle that. I had a 9 class day one other year, but it was not everyday, and it was a killer. What I am really concerned about is the 7 classes in a row in the morning! 4 is ideal. 5 is o.k. 6 is hard . But 7!

I would really like to see your elementary schedules. I want to make a case to the school board. There is nothing in our contract that they are going against. State labor laws say you have to have a break after 4 hours, right? I will be teaching from 8:50 to 12:55. So there is nothing we can do there either. But you people can understand that introducing a lesson, doing the lesson, and cleanibg up every half hour can be exausting. And I have to be perky in the afternoon for those little 1st graders!

Oh, one more killer, if you are still reading. When I am at lunch and on prep. their is another art teacher teaching in my room! She travels from another school. Sooo... I have no time to prep. in my room except before and after school.

Help!!!

MJHadley

FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar get it now! ---