Animals in Art - African Coffins (Ghana)

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 22 2004 - 10:42:30 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

I am interested in any lesson you might do around the
fanciful shaped coffins of the Ga People of Ghana.

Here is a wonderful Lion image I just found on the
Mint Museum site:
http://www.mintmuseum.org/collections_detail.php?collection_id=4&item_id=58
If that URL is too long - click Africa:
http://www.mintmuseum.org/collections.php

by Paa Joe:
http://www.rit.edu/~africa/paajoe/paaJoePg2.shtml

Of coures - they made all sorts of shapes - more than
animals.

I have posted links to many in the past...I will be
adding a ceramic idea (soon) using a sample image from
Michal Austin's site. My lesson plan on making ceramic
boxes is adaptable. I would recommend using the
corrugated cheese box shape as a mold (or making a
mold that is the size you want)....or no mold at all
if you wish (My middle school students had better
success with slab method when we used a corrugated
cardboard box as mold. Stiff slab construction was not
as successful as they often let the slabs get too dry
- and the class "elder" had to step in to help save
the project. Too stiff slabs were wrapped in wet
toweling for a short time to soften just enough to
scroe and slip together).

I bet kids could make paper mache boxes too? Just a
thought. Save of those chesse boxes from the
cafeteria.

Judy Decker

=====
Judy Decker