RE: student artist of the week

---------

From: Catharine Ho (catharineho_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 21 2004 - 20:49:52 PDT

The student artist of the week is the first display you see when you walk in
my room. I have the students submit a photo of themselves with their bio and
views on art. I post the bio in the middle of a paper mache star that looks
like a picture frame. the star is actually stapled to the wall suspended by
fishing line so that I can just lift it and staple the student bio behind
the frame. One question I have on the artists sheet is " What advice would
you give other young artists?" and this always generates some interesting
answers. for the favourite artist question I try to find one of my postcards
to post near the bio with the artists name underneath. As for work from home
, I allow one piece only out of the five on display to be from home. ( just
in case) If I suspect it is not the students I don't say anything ( because
that pretty much forces them to lie to me and I don't want to go through
that) I make a fuss about the best piece that I know is theirs, ignore the
suspect piece and display it in the least prominent area of the display. I
have also trained my first artsit to be the curator of this exhibit, she
helps me and she gets a certificate at the end of the year for volunteer
work as a gallery curator. It worked well last year. ( though she did let
her display stay up for almost a month before she got the ball rolling and
started changing the work. At the beginning of the year, I have all of the
kids ( about 25) out of my 400, submit their bio and picture at the same
time so there isn't the running around after them once the year gets busy
and the interest is not as high. I explain to everyone that this is round
one so that allows me to select kids who 'need ' this along the way. good
luck and have a great year. I also have the principal call the student up to
his office to congratulate them on their display. ( It is funny because they
always think they are in trouble!)