Relationships with Museums are IMPORTANT

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 21 2004 - 18:58:47 PDT

We just returned from a day in Santa Fe to the annual Indian Market.
We spoke to several artists who had visited my Middle School classroom
in Kansas City. This reminded me of the importance of establishing a close
relationship with museums in your area. Over the years of my teaching I
had the opportunity of exposing my students to established artists with
strong credentials. The Nelson-Atkins in Kansas City and the Spencer in
Lawrence both knew I had a strong art program and that my students
would be respectful and receptive to visiting artists. So when major
exhibitions came to our area I got a phone calls to host visiting
artists.
I urge all of you to establish a strong relationship with the museum
education people in your areas. It will pay off many times over. Today I
saw artists who were in my classroom like Yazzie Johnson and Gail Bird
(Navajo Jewelers) as well as Susan and Polly Rose Fowell (Santa Clara
Potters).
I also ran into Barbara Gonzales (San Ildeffonso Potter). The district gave
me a week of release time to attend her fantastic black-on-black pottery
workshop she gave in Lawrence. Numerous other artist came to our classroom
over the years like New York printmaker Noah Jimmerson and of course
Wang
Yani when she was in Kansas City at the age of 13. I thought it would be
important to
pass on this bit of advice to establish those relationships because they will
return rewards to you and your students many times over. Of course I realize
that many of you have already done the same thing in your years of teaching.
I post this for the newbee's on the list. I hope you enjoy your school year.
                                        Woody, Retired in Albuquerque

--
35 Quality Middle School Art Lessons
Ordering Address: PO Box 91703