Re: Ceramic Tool List and Cave painting

---------

From: Heather Leal (rayleal_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 21 2004 - 13:24:25 PDT

We made clay cutters with a piece of fishing line tied between 2 sticks
for handles. We made loop tools for carving with a u shaped piece of
wire bound to a stick. We used cotton string to bind the wire to the
stick by wrapping it around. We made a needle tool with a piece of wire
stuck into the end of a stick. We spent time finding and shaping good
handles with the sticks (small branches) from trees using sandpaper.
Making the tools from scratch was a neat way to start out in ceramics
and connected nicely with the whole clay from the earth kind of thing.
We took pride in our tools that we made and took care of them. We also
cut plastic bucket type material into scraper shaped tools.
I am thinking about starting out my middle school exploratory classes
by making brushes/ painting tools with sticks and using them to do some
sort of stone age type painting. At a CAEA conference they had a big
"wall" made from chicken wire stretched on 2x4's and covered with
celluclay. It was out for the whole conference for people to add paint
to between workshops. They had paint, water and brushes there to use.
It was fun. I am thinking some kind of group activity like that they
can all take turns adding to-
Any ideas or suggestions?
Heather
On Aug 21, 2004, at 12:36 PM, San D wrote:

> I would add "spackle bucket" or a bucket free from your local bakery.
> (to keep their clay in).
> I would also add any plastic silverware, combs, old pair of scissors,
> paper towels, newspaper, string (to cut the clay), paintbrush (to use
> for slip), and anything that you could push into the clay to make
> texture (like old hair rollers for example).
>

> Dear Artednetters,
> I am developing a list of items I am requesting my ceramic students
> bring from home to use as they work in clay.  What would you suggest I
> add to the list.  I want things that are inexpensive or free that they
> find around the house.
>

> ---
> leave-artsednet-20359V@lists.getty.edu

---