RE: Ceramic Tool List

---------

From: cen_aca_dp (cen_aca_dp_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 21 2004 - 12:32:11 PDT

A few things that we use:

* a large tapestry needle to cut the clay- makes a nice, clean edge

* meat tenderizer mallet for adding texture

* register receipt platic center rolls make a nice sunburst pattern in clay
when stamped

* the lids of some thinline markers have a star tipped pattern that are nice
to use to stamp

* cheese slicer to cut decorative, wavy edges

* a spring, stretched out, when used to cut clay makes a nice scalloped
pattern

* we work on waxed paper to prevent sticking

* large cardboard tubes make great armatures for creating vases- wrap waxed
paper around it and then wrap slabs of clay around and add a bottom

* I have a set of plastic letters that are intended for decorating cakes, but
they work great in clay- like mini stamps

That's all I can think of for now. You have probably already head of most of
these, but I'm putting them out there! :)

Denise Pannell
Defiance, OH

>===== Original Message From Joe Cox <bjcoxteachart@msn.com> =====

>I am developing a list of items I am requesting my ceramic students bring
from home to use as they work in clay. What would you suggest I add to the
list. I want things that are inexpensive or free that they find around the
house.

>Sponge
>
>Apron
>
>Several plastic bags (plastic grocers bags or trash bags)
>
>Twist ties (to tie up your plastic bag)
>
>Plastic container with a lid. (margarine container works great)
>
>Old toothbrush
>
>Old towel
>
>If you have any suggestion please send them on.

---