RE: NAHS

---------

From: Jane (jpawlow2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 19 2004 - 11:44:43 PDT

Vivian

I've been away or I would have answered sooner. We are currently going into
our 5th year for a chapter of the National Art Honor Society. We started
using the NAHS booklet that NAEA sends for the ceremony and building from
there.

In addition to the requirements that national stipulates, we require
students to have a 90 average in art and an 85 overall average. All
applicants must be approved by the art department and submit a new
application each year to insure eligibility. This has actually helped some
students maintain their grades in other classes. New applicants bring a
selection of 3 pieces of art to their first meeting. All media is
acceptable. We aim to show the variety of art that can be created.

Our induction ceremony is held in the school's Little Theater. All members
provide a few pieces of art to hang around the room as a small gallery for
our guests. The students proceed into the theater holding candles (we
originally used real ones but now use battery powered candles). The lights
are dimmed at this point. The officers go on stage and the President directs
the ceremony. We have a guest speaker and a short ceremony that the students
wrote with statements tying in the elements of art. The advisors introduce
the new inductees. We close with light refreshments for our guests.

We have been doing a lot of projects for the school including murals for
phys ed, social studies, and health. The students are probably going to
concentrate on a mural for the art wing of the school this year.

If you have any other questions you can e-mail me off list.

Jane

---