art gallery

---------

From: San D (kprs_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 18 2004 - 14:35:26 PDT

Guess what?? Our art department will have a small art gallery in our school
next year. One of our old home economics rooms was redistributed into two
and 1/2 rooms. We got the 1/2 room for our Gallery. We are so excited about
the prospect. I had a gallery 13 years ago, and it was swallowed up into a
classroom. The administration has changed hands 3 times since then, and I
have always lobbied for a gallery. I kept all the newspaper clippings and
photos from our gallery of the 90's and that was a good bargaining chip for
this administration. In the past I had an art club whose sole responsibility
was the running of the art gallery, deciding on monthly shows (themes),
soliciting work to be judged (by them...work was solicited from the
community, within the school, and other schools), hanging the show, running
the opening night, maintaining afterschool hours, etc. They even had a group
show where as a group they made an installation that took up the whole
gallery (a la Red Grooms). I haven't decided yet if I want to initiate an
art club for this reason, or start a National Art Honor Society and have
them run the gallery. I will run this by all the other art teachers when we
get to school to make the decision. It was a great way to showcase art
careers. We also sponsored a traveling art show from one of the Art
Universities (perhaps it was Tyler, but I don't remember). The art club
president eventually went on to be a display designer, and is in the
'business' in Chicago.

San D

  Increase the Peace ~^~

  {^}Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of
others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of
hope. Robert F. Kennedy

  http://members.cox.net/artzheart