Make "Puce" memorable for your students - Sing it!

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 18 2004 - 08:12:53 PDT

Greetings ArtsEdNetters,

Greg Percy has told me that PUCE is the first color
word in his new song about strange color names. I
don't think my magenta made the song - but puce is
close enough.

Songs in the Key of Art (Volume 4 to comes out next
fall): http://www.geocities.com/gpercy1/artsongs/

Bill (Microsoft Encarta) had the color as brilliant
purplish-red - the consensus seems to have it a bit
duller (Linda Woods and I came up with better names
for brilliant purplish-red)

But it might be fun to bring in the word origin:

Late 18th century. Via French , “flea” (in the phrase
couleur puce “flea-colored”), from Latin pulex .
Ultimately from an Indo-European word meaning “flea,”
which is also the ancestor of English flea.
Microsoft® Encarta® Reference Library 2003.

Get some science in there too. Save some of the
kitty's fleas and look at them under the microscope.
Many years ago, National Geographic had a feature
article on fleas (tied in history too - the Plague -
Renaissance) and had some great images (very large
illustrations - but I don't recall them being puce
colored)

Oh...and there is a clean up song on the new CD!!! No
more Barny song for all of you.

Regards,

Judy Decker