back from vacation

---------

From: San D (kprs_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 17 2004 - 19:35:23 PDT

I just came back from an unbelievable 10 days at the Galapagos Islands. I am
still processing the adventure, as I can't even believe I went. I thought I
would pull a "Darwin" and sketch the animals, but unfortunately the animals
were more interested in me when I started to sketch them, that the
naturalist guides suggested that I move as they encroached my space. Also my
tour was very fast paced in that we kept moving the whole 10 days with
virtually no 'down' time. My husband managed to shoot over 2000 digital
images, and I took over 250 of the old fashioned film type. We stayed on a
ship that accomodated 20 people with a crew of 11. Our room was small, so
the combination of the laptop with wires, and the ship rocking, it made
moving around the room an additional adventure. (Thank God for four
things...sea sickness pills, a good pair of hiking shoes, a good hiking
stick, and a hat with a large brim). I survived the elements of earth, wind
and sun, as well as the awkwardness (for me) of meeting 18 new people. The
company divided the group of travelers between two ships. One ship had
people who didn't speak English as a first language, and people with
children,and my ship had people between the ages of 50-60. We all clicked
immediately which added to the trip to be sure. The Islands are as Darwin
saw them (as Ecuador made them into a National Park, and you can not get on
them without a naturalist guide), and all the animals he saw from the
finches, to the Giant Tortoises are hanging in there. (although the pirates,
as well as Darwin did manage to wipe out some species of the Giant
Tortoises, the Darwin center is breeding others to bring them back). As I
eventually process my trip, I will be incorporating the experience into my
advanced art class next year. (saw Ecuadorian crafts at local stores on the
mainland...weaving, basketry, jewelry,).

San D

---