Re: reading for content - across the curriculum

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 17 2004 - 13:10:13 PDT

Greetings Sid (and all),

I agree, Sid.

In my former middle school we were required to do
reading in ALL subject areas - Reading for course
content - comprehension etc. I knew I had a lot of
poor readers so I came up with alternate assignments
where they had to read the pictures - that worked for
us - and no body really checked anyways to see if we
were really "reading". Poor writers were allowed to
give me answers orally (sometimes even the special ed
teachers wrote down the kids answers to questions -
all depended on who had the time). Parents (or older
siblings) helped when it was homework assignments. It
sure was fun though to see the PE folks scramble to
come up with reading activities (grin). Band just
ignored the request...reading music was enough for
him.

Judy Decker