Re: text books in h.s. art

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (smiller_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 17 2004 - 12:35:14 PDT

Yes, they do still have teacher's books. I would suggest you read the
whole text and teachers notes when you get it. It will clarify things
you didn't think you were confused about and give good ideas. Many of
the ideas that we see pop up on the list will also be suggested in the
teacher info. You could easily use the text to plan your whole year
just like the history teachers do. I think this would be a fabulous
resource for first year teachers. I personally can't stand the
teacher's book because the writing all around the margin is really
offensive to me--lacks unity!!! Distracts my feeble brain!! I also
don't like to do scripted work. I do feel that students as a rule
resent doing worksheets in art. I'm not sure I care who came up with
the idea if the students write it out as a sentence. Then it has to
pass by their brain at least once!! Just using numbers for answers
because they're easy to grade is a total waste of time. Try giving a
written assignment at the beginning of the year to see the level of your
kids--or have them read aloud. If you have a lot of low ones,
concentrate more on production where they will be more successful. I
believe that a 16 yr. old who cannot read does not need one more hour in
the day where he fails miserably. Sid

>>> Occasm@aol.com 08/16/2004 6:11:16 PM >>>
thanks for your reply. Sorry but didn't get your first or last name.

I was thinking of using the worksheets that are in my teacher resource
book.
I have the first edition of this book but I"m assuming they still have
this
type of resource. Have you ever tried to use these instead of the back
of the
book questions?
  :Thanks again. I was wondering about how to assess whether they've
done the
work or not. Anything else you've tried please let me know.

mike sacco

---
leave-artsednet-20359V@lists.getty.edu
---