PORTRAITS Eye Placement Theory - more info

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 17 2004 - 09:11:30 PDT

Thanks Jan,

I found this interesting (and all please pardon me
when you get my blank message - that was an ooops - I
was trying to paste her address into a personal note)

Here is a portion of the study for Ancient Portraits:
Eye Placement Principles In Portraits And Figure
Studies Over The Past Two Millennia
http://www.ski.org/CWTyler_lab/CWTyler/Art%20Investigations/AncientEyePlacement/AncientEyeCenterSPIE.html

Or http://tinyurl.com/6sywl

Here is a portion of the study for 500 years of
portraits:
AN EYE-PLACEMENT PRINCIPLE IN 500 YEARS OF PORTRAITS
http://www.ski.org/CWTyler_lab/CWTyler/PrePublications/ARVO/1998/Portraits/

Complete pdf file is available (I am sure it is way
over my head - grin):
http://www.imaging.org/store/epub.cfm?abstrid=29668

I think this might be fun for your students to examine
(don't tell them what the findings of the research was
- see if they can come up with similar
results). I know student portraits are much more
exciting when they start by drawing the eyes. Gina
Grant and Linda Woods both began their portrait units
that way.

If anyone does this with kids - DO let me
know...Math/Art connection - research - and aesthetic
issues. I will add some of this to the portrait
lessons page.

Thanks Jan!

Judy Decker

=====