Re: text books in h.s. art

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (smiller_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 16 2004 - 09:15:39 PDT

Hi Mike, we use Art Talk with our 9th graders. I liked the Davis list
of principles of design better, but Art Talk is a good text. The kids
hate to use it. We have one class set for each teacher and if you give
assignments we find that they start stealing the books and you can't
stop it since no one is responsible for a particular book. I have used
the art history section. I find that 9th graders are very adept at
answering questions in the back of a book without reading the book or
having any comprehension. They have just learned to use header
sentences and darkened words. Maybe it would be better to have them
outline the whole part (wow, the cries and whines) and then give them a
test where they can use their outline. I rarely do that because I have
a lot of low level kids and this classic "schoolwork" is something that
they are really bad at doing, so I guarantee a lower grade. Plus they
love art and feel that it is the one hour in school where they don't
have to do "schoolwork". My favorite project for the book is to have
each student select a painting from the book(first come first served)
and then paint a copy as exactly as they can, then stand up with their
copy and I hold the book original . They do an esthetic scanning of the
work--describe the original work, discuss the artist and period, discuss
elements and principles, and discuss whether they think it is
successful. I help them all the way through and ask them questions if
they've forgotten anything. I go around and help them get ready and
write answers on the back of their painting--sort of a crib sheet. I
try to make this non-threatening and sort of fun, but there are always
kids at this age who are total sheep and will get an F rather than stand
up in front of the class.

>>> Occasm@aol.com 08/12/2004 7:49:36 PM >>>
I'm thinking of using Art Talk in my ninth grade studio ARt class. Is
there
anyone out there that has used a text to supplement their studio or Art
1
courses? Pros and cons would both be valuable.

Three weeks left. What a rainy summer we've had on Long Island.

mike saco
p.j. gelinas jhs
setauket, ny

---