back to school

---------

From: Betty Bowen (bbowen_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 16 2004 - 05:44:59 PDT

Hello everybody, I really wanted to read all 1,675 posts from the summer
when I came to school last week but just couldn't do it! I have saved some
to get to later.

Today is our first official day back, the kids come friday. we are expecting
a large 6th grade class that has already had run-ins with "the law". There
are a couple wearing house arrest bracelets, everybody in town warns us
about them. So I'm planning the first few days being paper and pencil and
writing-oriented so I can get the lay of the land. I also put my computer
desk in one corner and my teacher's desk in the opposite corner so there
wont be a perceived "back of the room", although I move around all the time
anyway.

We are going to deal with the whys of art making and get into personal
expression as fast as I can. I want to see what these kids are about and see
if we can channel some of their anger into making art.

any ideas, of course, are welcome. Betty in OK

---