Re: Chine Colle - used in printmaking

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 12 2004 - 17:14:50 PDT

Mary Jane,

Here is the ArtLex definition for Chine Colle:

chine collé - A technique in printmaking in which an
impression is made on a surface at the same time as
its opposite side is adhered to a heavier support in
the procedure. This process permits printing onto such
delicate materials as rice paper and linen, allowing
the plate to produce finer details in the printed
image than would normally be possible. Once an
adhesive (traditionally a solution of rice flour and
water) has been applied to the reverse side of the
lighter material, the heavier support (typically, such
a heavyweight paper as is typically used in
printmaking) is placed upon it. In applying the
pressure of the press, the reverse side of the lighter
material adheres to the support as an image is
simultaneously printed onto its obverse side.
(pr. sheen koh-lay)

Example is given for Rembrandt Peale -American

I have done chine colle with intaglio printing
methods....I used wheat paste as that is what I had.

find out more:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=chine+coll%C3%A9&btnG=Google+Search

Judy Decker

--- jane mary <mjart49@hotmail.com> wrote:

Does anyone have any information on this?
MJHadley