African American Artists AND Shaped Painting

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 10 2004 - 10:32:23 PDT

Greetings ArtsEdNetters,

Here are more resources from KET Kentucy TV...

Check out resourcse for Black History:

Ellis Wilson - So Much To Paint
http://www.ket.org/elliswilson/
This program documents a little-known artist from
Mayfield, Kentucky who captured the beauty and dignity
of ordinary black people in more than 300
paintings. Born in 1899, Wilson had to leave Kentucky
to study art because the segregated black colleges of
the time offered only industrial and agricultural
studies. After completing his studies at the famous
School of the Art Institute in Chicago, he moved to
New York, where he would live and work for the next 40
years. However, it wasn't until one of his paintings
was featured on an episode of The Cosby Show in 1985
that interest in his work was revived.
KET production; for general audience plus grades 9-12
(60 minutes)

DRAPED/SHAPED Canvases

Looking at Painting
http://www.ket.org/painting/
This documentary features interviews with Kentucky
artists; visits to their studios; and discussions of
techniques, elements, and principles in selected
paintings. The artists include African Americans Sam
Gilliam and Mark Priest. KET production; for general
audience plus grades 9-12 (60 minutes)

DO take time to look at art of Sam Gilliam
(abstract/non-objective painting on draped canvases)
http://www.ket.org/content/painting/gilliam.htm
http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/gilliam_sam.html
more:
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&q=Sam+Gilliam

More Black History resources - see dance, too:
http://www.ket.org/Education/IN/blackhistory.html

I will be getting these resources linked. I know I
shared Wilson last year with Yahoo groups. Of course,
I would love to hear about it if these artists inspire
a lesson.

Enjoy,

Judy Decker

=====