Re: moving to middle school/advice to new teachers

---------

From: marcia lavery (marciadotcom_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 09 2004 - 21:08:41 PDT

I love teaching middle school.. the kids are great fun! After reading this post, I wanted to advise all new teachers to be careful with their "tempting" supplies. X-acto knives, tools, scissors, etc. are now all locked up in my room. I was WAY too trusting. 99% of the kids in my school are honest and trustworthy kids. However, someone (and I'll never know now who it was) stole one of the yearbook cameras that I kept in my desk drawer. We've never really had a problem with theft in our school, but I should have been more careful. There were NO locked cabinets or drawers available for me to use in my classroom and I even bought several types of locks to see if they would fit on the handles and none of them did. With the busy school days, I soon forgot about getting a locked cabinet until the camera was missing one day. After that happened, I approached my principal and she got locks installed on 3 of my cabinets that same day! Could you imagine if it had been one of my utility
 knives? That could have been terrible. I recommend locking away anything remotely dangerous or valuable.

. I had a real problem with things being stolen in mid. school --like ink,
x-acto knives, rubber cement, tools (pliers). Get boxes with holes that
instantly show if a scratch knive etc. is missing. Check your garbage
daily to see what's in it.