Re: Summer Hello and mosaics

---------

From: jlb (wjbaas_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 09 2004 - 18:38:27 PDT

> I do
>have some concerns about how the edges of broken tiles
>can be quite sharp. So I am looking for pointers from
>anyone that has done this as a project.
> MaryB
>

>Hi Mary,

I've done this with glass in classes as young as 5th grade. Nary a cut!
I made sure that they planned their color scheme well, then snupervised
while they broke up the ceramic tile pieces in a heavy plastic bag. the
bags were clear so kids could see what they were doing with the hammer.
they worked in small teams. I had donated clear plastic bags (begging
again) from the grocery store. I made the kids double them so there
would be no chance of piercing with sharp fragments. All HAD to wear
safety glasses. I know this sounds primitive, but it worked. When we put
the pieces onto the clay surface, I think I used tile glue. Tub and tile
caulk took care of any stubborn guys. When we spread the grout, i made
them use heavy rubber gloves. they spread it on with a pallet knife,
then let it sit till just starting to dry, then polished off the surface
with plenty of paper towel. (the cheap school stuff) After drying, they
polished again with paper towels. I sealed the surface with several
coats of liquid floor polish----cheaper than Krylon. I mounted several
panels of these tiles throughout the school. They were a real crowd pleaser.

Hope this helps,
Gelato

---