Re: moving to middle school

---------

From: Sidnie Miller (smiller_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 09 2004 - 10:53:54 PDT

The biggest difference is that you have be to disciplining them
constantly. I found that keeping them really busy and a good sense of
humor are your best techniques for disciplining. They are more
enthusiastic and love to jump into a new project. You will go much
faster, consequently will do about twice as many projects. High
schoolers have developed dragging their work out to a real science. I
had a real problem with things being stolen in mid. school --like ink,
x-acto knives, rubber cement, tools (pliers). Get boxes with holes that
instantly show if a scratch knive etc. is missing. Check your garbage
daily to see what's in it. Make good friends with your administration
and talk to them in advance of doing a project like clay where you might
want to threaten the kids in advance about what might happen to them if
they throw clay. Make sure the admin. is in agreement with you as to
penalties. Always be suspicious if a student starts watching you.
Organize your classroom in a circle and always stay on the outside where
you can see everyone easily. If you combine several elementary schools,
the first week will be a total waste until the pecking order is
established so do something mindless like make folders and decorate
them. I always liked having a lot of the top students in mid. school
who don't take art in high school because they're busy getting more
honors science classes etc. You're probably going to be nuts for a
couple of months, but you will figure it out. Every age has its good
and bad points.

>>> mikellee31@yahoo.com 08/08/2004 8:04:27 PM >>>
I am switching to middle school this year after
teaching at a top high school for the past 6 years. I
am looking forward to it, but I am wondering what the
major differences are in the age groups and what to
expect. I did some of my student teaching in a jr.
high, but you all know that is a surreal experience.
When I tell other teachers in my new district that I
am moving to middle school they laugh at me and say
"good luck" - they have made me really nervous. So,
if any of you great teachers have any advice to give I
have open ears!! Thank you already- Mikel