Studio Art

---------

From: C Kerch (ckerch_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 08 2004 - 23:06:09 PDT

I have a question for all of you seasoned art teachers regarding "studio
art". After evaluating my first year of teaching art and talking with other
local art teachers it has been suggested that I create a studio art program
for my 8th graders. It was also suggested that I keep my current art program
as is for my 5th to 7th graders. My question to you all is this... what is
the difference between studio art and art education? I guess I'm a bit
confused as to what my peers are telling me to do. When I pressed them as to
how they taught art they said they created a studio art atmosphere for their
students allowing the students to come in to class and take action on their
own. For example, in ceramics the teacher would demonstrate technique then
allow the students to just do what they feel like doing basically allowing
the students to pick and choose their projects. Their final grade being
based on the quality of the project and number of pieces created. So
ceramics would be taught an entire quarter or 10 weeks. I have my students
for a whole year so I'm not sure if I should just have one quarter of studio
ceramics, another quarter of studio sculpting, another quarter of studio
printmaking, and another quarter of studio painting. Anyway, I guess I'm a
bit confused on the whole studio art issue and would appreciate any
guidance.

Mahalo,
Cathy
Honolulu, HI