Re: moving to middle school

---------

From: Patty Valens (pvalens_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 08 2004 - 20:36:33 PDT

Hi Mikel,

I am new to ArtsEdNet Talk and so far I have just been reading. Your posting
has made me jump in!

I am a middle school art teacher and I love it. I moved up from teaching at
the elementary level. I like the change in maturity level. I can kid around
with an eighth grader a lot easier than with a first grader. That, however,
may be what you find to be the most difficult thing. Your new middle
schoolers might seem extremely immature to you - they are! Rolling and
throwing little clay balls is irresistable! Keep your sense of humor. They
are also fun and funny. Just watching them grow from children (5th grade) to
teens (8th grade) is amazing. Good luck!

Patty - Art Teacher, Highland Falls Middle School, NY

---