Additional Music about Art (Jan H and Judy Gro and all)

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 08 2004 - 15:06:51 PDT

Dear Arts Educators,

Some of you may be interested in these tid bits - from NPR...
http://www.npr.org/rundowns/rundown.php?prgId=4&prgDate=4-May-2001

Gunther Schuller and Paul Klee

Gunther Schuller (GUN-ther SHOO-ler)-- mixed-media background as a composer
and a painter. And Schuller explains how he took visual images by Paul Klee
(KLAY), and turned them into music.

...another piece inspired by a painting. But that painting was originally
inspired by music. Gunther Schuller's "Arab Village" is from his set of
"Seven Studies on Themes of Paul Klee." We'll hear it played by the Radio
Philharmonic of Hannover, led by Schuller. Paul Klee was a painter, but also
a fine musician. Gunther Schuller is a composer, but was also an excellent
painter.
---------------
concert performance by pianist Pascal Roge (pahss-kahl roh-ZHAY) .....
a delightful bonbon called "The Departure for Cythera" (SIH-theh-rah),
inspired by a painting by Antoine Watteau (vah-TOH). (perhaps by Francis
Poulenc (frah(n)-seess poo-LANK).
----------------
When people talk about the French Impressionists, they're usually talking
about painters. But the description is often extended to composer Claude
Debussy. Jean-Yves Thibaudet (zhah(n)-eev tee-boh-DAY) plays three of
Debussy's Preludes, Book Two: "Canope," "Alternating Thirds" and
"Fireworks."
Here is a CD to look up
http://www.lbso.org/recordings.html
Long Beach Symphony "Pictures" - it contains:
Ottorino Respighi, composer
Trittico botticelliano
Long Beach Symphony Orchestra; JoAnn Falletta, conductor

Bohuslav Martinu, composer
Frescoes of Piero della Francesca
Long Beach Symphony Orchestra; JoAnn Falletta, conductor

Modest Musorgsky, composer
Pictures at an Exhibition
Long Beach Symphony Orchestra; JoAnn Falletta, conductor

Also see Impressions of the Sea
Lis of Music Inspired by Art - compiled by Kevin Jagoe
http://www.angelfire.com/tx2/kdjagoe/inspired.html
Lots of Songs about art (NOT a page to show your students)
http://ilx.p3r.net/thread.php?msgid=4006208 (this is a list serve with some
pretty bad language)
Oh and of COURSE the famous Greg Percy - Songs in the Key of Art.... Greg is
working on Volume 4 right now. He is moving up to middle school.... What
will be his first middle school song? Maybe something about a pencil? We
sure could give him a lot of material about middle school kids.
 Don't know if any of these are kid appropriate - I only know the Dylan
piece.

"Pablo Picasso," The Modern Lovers
"Salvador Dali's Garden Party," The Television Personalities
"Painter Man," The Creation
"When I Paint My Masterpiece," Bob Dylan/The Band
"(My Baby Does) Good Sculptures," The Rezillios
--------------------------------------

by Michael Gira - I don't know anything about this recording....
For instance, "The Man With The Silver Tongue" is based on the images of the
Viennese artist Rudolph Schwartzkoggler. "The Garden Hides The Jewel" is
sort of an homage to Marcel Duchamp; "Inner Female" is an homage to Francis
Bacon. There's actually a lot of songs about art on New Mother.
http://www.younggodrecords.com/Artists/MichaelGira/
Hello Dali is the O'Reilly-Smith-O'Reilly-Magnus - gang of four in their
original revue of songs about art, first produced at Victory Gardens,
directed by Paul Amandes - "Hello Dali," a songwriter's look at the great
painters, an award winning musical revue, was a box office hit in Victory
Gardens Theater in Chicago. "Waving to Picasso" is on CD
I also found a "psychedelic" songs about Paul Klee.... an old vinyl record
from the 60s.

Well...maybe I am done with music for a while... I won't be compiling all of
this for IAD for quite sometime - do save it if the topic interests you. I
did write to Kevan to se if I could mesh my lists with his list. I will list
songs separately.... but I have a lot of work to do checking song
lyrics....so that is not a high priority for me right now.
We all know Greg Percy's songs are kid appropriate - Songs in he Key of
Art - volume I II and II.
http://www.geocities.com/gpercy1/artsongs/

Post songs that you KNOW are kid appropriate and I will start with those.

Judy Decker - Ohio
Incredible Art Department (IAD)
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/
Incredible Art Resources