Music INSPIRED by Art - Add to the list (Ann Heineman and all)

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 08 2004 - 12:57:42 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

At one time I had a long list of music selections that were inspired by
Art.... I can't seem to find that file on my machine...Perhaps someone else
saved it all? Ann Heineman maybe?

Here is one book I found:
Music Inspired by Art: A Guide to Recordings by Gary Evans.
MLA Index and Bibliography Series, No. 30.
ISBN 0-8108-4509-1. $60.00 Cloth.
"Music inspired by art became a distinct genre in the nineteenth century as
Liszt, Mussorgsky, Rachmaninoff, and other Romantics composed numerous works
based on painting and sculpture. Later composers produced examples covering
a widening spectrum of musical styles, artists, and visual media. This
comprehensive reference book goes beyond the Romantics to include a variety
of musical styles inspired by art, including jazz, classical, and popular
music." http://www.musiclibraryassoc.org/pub/pu_index.htm

Maybe your school library can swing for this one?

Here is partial list that Ann posted to Getty list - posted Mon, 6 Dec 1999

Music Inspired by Art / Architecture

"Trittico Botticelliano" by Ottorino Respighi (three Botticelli
paintings are depicted through music---Primavera, The Adoration of the Magi
and The Birth of Venus) The composer also did pieces called "Church
Windows" and the "Fountains of Rome."

"Mathis der Maler" by Paul Hindemith (composer was inspired by the
Isenheim Altarpiece by German painter Matthias Grunewald.)

"Goyescas" by Enrique Granados, based on paintings by Goya.

"In the Alhambra" by the City of Granada Orchestra--this is a new
recording I heard on the radio last month. Do not know the composer(s).

"Pictures at an Exhibition" by Modest Mussorgsky. (There is, of course,
both the classical rendition and the
one done by Emerson, Lake and Palmer in the 70's)

"Fantasia on a Theme by (Thomas) Tallis" by Ralph Vaughan Williams.
Imagine sitting in an English Gothic catheral while you hear this. Also
suggests references to Salisbury Cathedral paintings of John Constable.

Here is Ann Heineman's complete list of music - posted Mon, 6 Dec 1999
Music Inspired by Places--land, water, above the clouds

"La Mer" and "Clair de lune" by Claude Debussy
"The Grand Canyon Suite" by Ferde Grofe
"Scottish Fantasy" by Max Bruch
"Scottish Symphony", "Hebrides Overture" and "Italian Symphony" by
Felix Mendelssohn
"Florida Suite", "In a Summer Garden", "Summer Night on the River"
by Frederick Delius
"The Planets" by Gustav Holst
"Caucasian Sketches" by Mikhail Ippolitov-Ivanov
"Ma Vlast" by Bedrich Smetana (The Moldau (river)is often heard piece)
"Karelia Suite" by Jean Sibelius
"Alpine Symphony" by Richard Strauss
"Mysterious Mountain" by Alan Hovhaness
"Symphony #2--The London Symphony," "Sea Symphony," "Sinfonia
Antartica," "Norfolk Rhapsody" and "In the Fen Country" by Ralph Vaughan
Williams
"Symphony #6" --the Pastoral--by Ludwig van Beethoven
"The Four Seasons" by Antonio Vivaldi and "The Seasons" by
Alexander Glazunov
"The Pines of Rome" by O. Respighi
"Das Lied von der Erde" by Gustav Mahler

Talking with the Animals

"Peter and the Wolf" by Sergei Prokofiev
"Carnival of the Animals" by Camille Saint-Saens
"And God Created Great Whales" by Alan Hovhaness
"A Lark Ascending" by Vaughan Williams
"On Hearing the First Cuckoo in Spring" by F. Delius
"The Swan of Tuonela" by Sibelius
"The Birds" by O. Respighi
"On the Trail" (with the donkeys) from the Grand Canyon Suite by F.
Grofe

Music Inspired by People (and the troubles they've seen!)

"Lieutenant Kije" and "Romeo and Juliet" by S. Prokofiev
"Symphonie Fantastique" by Hector Berlioz (the Hector and Harriet
soap opera production)
"Hary Janos Suite" by Zoltan Kodaly (based on Hungarian folklore)
"L'Arlesienne Suite" and "Carmen Suite" by Georges Bizet
"Peer Gynt" by Edvard Grieg
"Sheherazade" by Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov
"Don Juan" and "Till Eulenspiegel's Merry Pranks" by Richard Strauss
"Afro-American Symphony" by William Grant Still
"Spartacus Ballet Suite" by Aram Khatchaturian
"Rosamunde" by Franz Schubert

Americana

"Appalacian Spring," "Billy the Kid" and "Lincoln Portrait" by
Aaron Copland
Music of Stephen Foster-- "American Dreamer" CD with Thomas
Hampson, baritone
"The Civil War" CD PBS soundtrack
"American Jubilee" CD with Erick Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops
Orchestra
"I Love a Parade" CD with The Boston Pops and John Williams, Cond.

Music of Amy (Mrs. H. H. A.) Beach)--at last becoming a known and
recorded composer! We need more women composers and conductors.

Toe Tappin' / Blood Pumpin' Music

"Gayaneh Ballet" by A. Khachaturian (here's the Sabre Dance!)
"Rodeo Ballet" by A. Copland
"Bolero" by Maurice Ravel
"Anvil Chorus" from Il Trovatore by Giuseppi Verdi
Numerous opera overatures by Verdi and Rossini
"Gaite Parisienne" by Jacques Offenbach ( good to use with study of
Toulouse-Lautrec posters)
"Ancient Airs and Dances" by O. Respighi
"Overture to Le Corsair" by H. Berlioz
"Symphony #5 by Dimitri Shostakovich
"The Rite of Spring" by Igor Stravinsky
"Cakewalk" by Louis Moreau Gottschalk
"Royal Fireworks Music" by George Frideric Handel

For Tickling the Funny Bone

"Oedipus Tex" by PDQ Bach
"The Ring Cycle", as explained in less than 10 minutes by Anna Russell
The story of Carmen according to Andy Griffith
"A Young Lutheran's Guide to the Orchestra" with Garrison Keillor
and the St.Paul Chamber Orchestra, Hugh Wolf, cond.

For Your Spiritual/Contemplative Side

"Requiem" by Gabriel Faure
"Five Mystical Songs" by R. Vaughan Williams
"Cadfael" CD from the PBS Mystery! Theatre series
"Officium" CD with Jan Garbarek (saxophone) and the Hilliard Ensemble
Music by Hildegard von Bingen and Palestrina
"Elijah" by F. Mendelssohn
Music by Ernest Bloch, who was inspired by his Jewish faith.
Music by John Rutter and the Cambridge Singers
Music performed by Chanticleer

---------------------------------------

PLEASE add on to the list of music inspired by art.

Add the contemporary/pop ones you can think of, too.
Modern/Contemporary/Pop

"Starry, Starry Night" by Don McClean

Thanks in advance for helping with this "project".... maybe through our
efforts we can get more art in the music classes, too. (Sorry about the long
post...grin...since I was sending it to me - I decided to send it to you,
too)

Judy Decker - Ohio
Incredible Art Department (IAD)
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/