Music History Resources - for Music Integration

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 08 2004 - 10:31:12 PDT

Greetings Art Educators,

There has been an interest in music integration with visual art on Getty
list....

Here is new "stuff" I am finding (all mainly for European/American music)

A poster for your wall for $19.95
http://www.carissimi.com/
(I will not be linking this on my site - but will put it on Art Stores on
IAD - not too exciting looking)

A Music History Timeline Poster (for (9.95)
http://www.friendshiphouse.com/AX3460crd.html (I will put this on IAD Art
Store)
Your class will learn music history from 530 B.C. to the present day.
Colorful illustrations accompany the text to help children visualize the
information. (this one has more kid appeal than the one above)

Classical Music History Timelines on the Web (from Search Beat):
http://music.searchbeat.com/composer.htm
(I will not be linking this site - some of the links I checked were broken)

Stylistic Timeline of Music History:
http://www.stevenestrella.com/composers/index.html?styletimeline.html
has Birthdays... and much more.

Music History 102 - Internet Public Library - (crash course)
http://www.ipl.org/div/mushist/
 site has been organized according to the eras of history

Infoplease Music Timeline (European/American - general):
http://www.infoplease.com/ipea/A0151192.html

Infoplease Timeline for the Performing Arts (has theater and dance):
http://www.infoplease.com/ipea/A0153763.html

Infoplease American Music Timeline:
http://www.infoplease.com/spot/musictime1.html

Some of you may be interested in many of these other Timelines:
http://www.infoplease.com/spot/timelinearchive.html

Rock and Roll timeline (goes back to 1700! up to 2003):
http://www3.sympatico.ca/gary.lessard/timeline.htm
I tried to see if I could find out who Gary Lessard is (this is a personal
web site). It did have fun seeing what happened during the week of my
birthday - and I checked to see what happened Christmas week.
Kiddies will see who died from what - like drug overdoses and such. Explore
to see if you can use this with your students. I will be linking it up
somewhere (Comprehensive Arts page is a likely place).

See 50 Years of Pop (50s thru 2000) - for your own information - I will not
be linking:
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,6903,1207579,00.html

The Timeline of all Timelines.... in huge poster form (I will not be
linking)
http://www.history-timeline.com/ They say the English version will be ready
in autumn 2004 (elsewhere on the site it was promised in 2002...so enter
your information at your own risk).
You may need a magnifying glass to read all the details on the chart.

All About Jazz - History of Jazz Timeline by Doug Ronallo:
http://www.allaboutjazz.com/timeline.htm
I clicked to see what happened in Jazz the year I was born....
I will be adding this to my page on Jazz Music (if I don't have it already):
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/jazz.htm
You will see that I have many artist listed on this page, too

Classical Works timeline:
http://www.classicalworks.com/his.pages/timeline.html
This takes you from antiquity (harps/flute in Ancient Egypt) to 1900
I will add this to Comprehensive Arts page (if it isn't there already)

Recording History Timeline - relates to science/invention - by Steve
Schoenherr
http://history.acusd.edu/gen/recording/notes.html
(I'll put this on Comprehensive Arts)

Media History Timeline
http://www.mediahistory.umn.edu/time/2000s.html
Media History Project - by the School of Journalism and Mass Communication,
http://www.mediahistory.umn.edu/index2.html
Site may be linked somewhere - just not sure where yet.....
Hmmm...They list more Music timelines....
http://www.mediahistory.umn.edu/record.html

Historic American Sheet Music may interest you - for collage purposes:
http://scriptorium.lib.duke.edu/sheetmusic/timeline.html
http://scriptorium.lib.duke.edu/sheetmusic/ from Duke University

Cuban Music History - PBS site:
http://www.pbs.org/buenavista/music/timeline.html
From Film on Buena Vista Social Club:
http://www.pbs.org/buenavista/
I will put this on my Hispanic Culture page (eventually)

For those interested - History of Country Music (our PE folks did teach
country line dancing one year - I guess I missed my chance then to be
interdisciplinary)
http://www.roughstock.com/history/

LOTS of Timelines....scroll down to Cultural:
http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/List-of-themed-timelines
More timelines that you will ever need....not sure where - or if - I will
put this link...Maybe on Curriculum Resources page.

To see what my site has already - go to:
Art Education - click Timelines
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/arted.htm
Comprehensive Arts
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/comparts.htm
Jazz music and Artists Inspired by Jazz
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/jazz.htm
American History Links
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/histlink.htm

Looks like if I keep at it - I will get enough for a whole new web site
(LOL)

Pass this information on to your music department, too. I am making no
promises as to how soon I will add links.... I will need to rethink the
Comprehensive Art page - Maybe add a link to Music History - Dance History -
etc. At least I have a start now....Happy surfing. Let me know which sites
you find most helpful... I only went through three pages of Google and that
was about all I could take for now.

Judy Decker - Ohio
Incredible Art Department (IAD)
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/