American Cultural History - 19th and 20th Century

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 08 2004 - 08:28:50 PDT

Greetings ArtsEdNetters,

I forgot to tell you that American Cultural History
Timelines are already done for 19th and 20th Century.
I have them linked on my Art Ed page and American
History links page... I think I may add them to
Comprehensive Art page too.
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/arted.htm
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/histlink.htm

As I find more useful links I will add them and let
you know.

Now my "ramble".....

I have been putting a lot of thought into my resources
site and trying to decide just how much of it is
needed... Maybe I will work more on the Comprehensive
Arts focus since more of you are buying into the now.
Very little of what I actually did with my students is
online. I don't even have the titles now of the videos
I borrowed that brought in music, dance and drama for
many of my units. There are videos available on the
history of dance - and dance of cultures (I brought in
dancers from the city school, too - to teach us some
dance with my African unit - and two dance instructors
when we did Jungle Book Ballet. Our Phys Ed
instructors were not the least bit interested in
dance). Web searches may bring up those titles. There
are also videos available for music of many
cultures/time periods (I borrowed Renaissance, Japan,
India, Africa, Middle East, and Mexico -- I think
there are others available). I didn't show the entire
videos to the kids...Anyways...now you get the idea
why my units took three to sometimes four weeks to
complete. Comprehensive Arts takes time - especially
if you have to do it all yourself. I could not get the
music people involved in working together. Some of the
core teachers used resources I found, though. I just
love hearing about how your staff works together to
enrich the learning experiences of kids. I had to
pretend that we worked together.

Cheers,

Judy Decker