RE: vocab magnets- with a complete list

---------

From: cen_aca_dp (cen_aca_dp_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 07 2004 - 23:17:40 PDT

>===== Original Message From K A <arizkma@yahoo.com> =====
>I was hoping there would be more elementary words as well.

This is very true and, as I was reading back through the lists, I was thinking
of my kinders. So, getting back to basics:

square
circle
rectangle
triangle
oval
diamond
heart
star
cube
zig-zag
wavy
dotted

Also:
ellipse
tessellate
polygon
congruent
octagon
diagonal is now taught as "oblique" in math class

The list could go on forever! I got tired of going back through them all, so I
assembled them all below. Some are duplicates, but I am too tired to weed
through them tonight. :)

Denise Pannell
Defiance, OH

The list so far:
Ceramic
Bone Dry
Bisqueware
Plastic clay
Slip
Extruder
Kiln
Glaze
Potter's Wheel
Underglaze
baren
brayer
monoprint
collograph
print
gouge
intaglio
ink
run
artist's proof
line
shape
form
color
texture
space
value
contrast
emphasis
unity
Tint
Shade
Tone
Primary Colors
Secondary Colors
Intermediate Colors
Complementary Colors
Analogous Colors
Split complementary
Intensity
transformation
meaning
symbolism
imagination
abstraction
imagery
metaphor
art
craftsmanship
artist
concept
idea
painting
drawing
printmaking
weaving
collage
sculpture
bookmaking
puppetry
masks
digital art
rhythm
movement
pattern(or repetition)
balance
wash
wet-on-wet
drybrush
wet-on-dry
watercolor
acrylic
couch "kooch"
deckle
stencil
calligraphy
proportion
self portrait
symmetry/symmetrical
asymmetrical
abstract
realistic
critique
perspective
2-D
3-D
palette
relief
medium
mosaic
collage
fresco
landscape
hatching or cross-hatching
gargoyle
contour
blind contour
contour gesture ratio
proportion
positive
negative
Describe
Don't Name
horizontal
vertical
diagonal

steel bar (my words to remind kids
to keep a "steel bar"
between their eye looking
and their hand drawing.
ie, if you see a zigzag your
eye follows the pattern and
leads your hand as if
connected by a steel bar.

angle transfer (for the way you can
hold up a pencil over an
angle (for example a corner
of a room) with one eye
closed, and then lay your
pencil down on your paper
without twisting your wrist
to transfer that angle to your
page.

And the last one would be a symbol that was four arrows pointing out
(N,S,E,W) from a center. That is my symbol to remind kids to think
about what is directly above, below, and beside what you just drew as
you are drawing. Or, it could be just "N, S, E, W."

Rule of Thirds
Contrast
Dodge
Burn
Filter
F Stop
Depth of Field
Scoring
Positive Space
Negative Space
Leatherhard
Primary
Secondary
Complementary
Analogous
Earth
Tints
Shades
Cool
Warm
Rainbow
Prehistoric
Ancient cultures ie. Greek, Roman, etc
Native American
Medieval
Renaissance
Baroque
Impressionism
Abstractionism
Surrealism
Pop/Op Art
Photo Realism
Genre
architecture
post and lintel
arch
dome
buttress
gargoyle
rose window
blueprint
painting
drawing
illustration
sculpture (relief/in the round,)
ceramics
fibers (spinning, weaving, quilts, etc,)
illuminated manuscripts,
cartoon cells
scrolls
prints (relief, woodcut, lithograph, serigraph)
mixed media
photograph
symmetrical
asymmetrical