Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Re: Famous paintings with musical themes

From: jane.phelan (jane.phelan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 07 2004 - 08:45:10 PDT

Judy, greetings

I replied to Belinda off-list -- why? Don't know. But here's what I sent
(before your posting flew in)

AND I haven't forgotten about lesson plans for interdisciplinary; I will
eventually deliver. Everything I do fits into that category. I just taught a
one-week middle school arts workshop called "journal into the unknown" and I
do want to write that up; it was 15 hours. I am always so bogged down with
clearing up everything I drag out to get something together --
anyway, well, here's my news. I'm about to start a full-time job at the
Smithsonian Early Enrichment Center, which is a museum-based school for 2-5
year-olds. I'll be co-teaching K, and I will be churning out plenty lesson
plans. No doubt a ROUTINE will be really good for me. And I will "pay back"
the list for all the zillions of energetic and inspired postings and lesson

Hope this finds you enjoying the autumn-in-August delight. Don't the flowers
look crisp in this air?

with smiles,

For marching bands, Childe Hassam comes to mind. All those flags!

Kandinsky's great for jazz, or Romare Bearden, Stuart Davis, lots for jazz

Earlier this year there was a fairly extensive thread with a lot of
suggestions for art & artists related to music in one way or another--
maybe Judy D can pull that together for you? Maybe it's still somewhere on
the IAD site, if you can find it?

(Hope you don't mind I'm replying off list --)

Artists who design(ed) sets for opera, for classical music connections,
maybe a long shot

Then pop art, like Peter Max or album cover-type art -- not exactly "high
art" but kitsch and pop culture can be a great hook

good luck, and have fun "listening to the music"

sending a smile,