Re: Famous paintings with musical themes

---------

From: jane.phelan (jane.phelan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 07 2004 - 08:45:10 PDT

Judy, greetings

I replied to Belinda off-list -- why? Don't know. But here's what I sent
(before your posting flew in)

AND I haven't forgotten about lesson plans for interdisciplinary; I will
eventually deliver. Everything I do fits into that category. I just taught a
one-week middle school arts workshop called "journal into the unknown" and I
do want to write that up; it was 15 hours. I am always so bogged down with
clearing up everything I drag out to get something together --
anyway, well, here's my news. I'm about to start a full-time job at the
Smithsonian Early Enrichment Center, which is a museum-based school for 2-5
year-olds. I'll be co-teaching K, and I will be churning out plenty lesson
plans. No doubt a ROUTINE will be really good for me. And I will "pay back"
the list for all the zillions of energetic and inspired postings and lesson
plans.

Hope this finds you enjoying the autumn-in-August delight. Don't the flowers
look crisp in this air?

with smiles,
Jane
--------------------------------------
Belinda,

For marching bands, Childe Hassam comes to mind. All those flags!

Kandinsky's great for jazz, or Romare Bearden, Stuart Davis, lots for jazz

Earlier this year there was a fairly extensive thread with a lot of
suggestions for art & artists related to music in one way or another--
maybe Judy D can pull that together for you? Maybe it's still somewhere on
the IAD site, if you can find it?

(Hope you don't mind I'm replying off list --)

Artists who design(ed) sets for opera, for classical music connections,
maybe a long shot

Then pop art, like Peter Max or album cover-type art -- not exactly "high
art" but kitsch and pop culture can be a great hook

good luck, and have fun "listening to the music"

sending a smile,
Jane

---