Famous paintings with musical themes

---------

From: The Hammond Family (bhammond_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 07 2004 - 07:18:47 PDT

Good Morning, all
I can't get my mind in gear this morning it seems. To help unite our
Cultural Arts Department (band, chorus, dance, visual arts) we are looking
for paintings by well-known artists with the themes of music or dance. I
think immediately of Picasso's "Three Musicians" and Degas' ballerinas (we
don't teach ballet per se) and I know Romare Bearden did some great collages
related to music. Miriam Shipario did a colorful piece of show dancers but
I'm drawing a blank for others. I looked through several art history books
without too much luck. I particularly need images related to marching bands
and choral groups or singers.
Can anyone help me out with suggestions?
Thanks a bunch.
Belinda in Greensboro - where students return to class Wednesday!