Re: Students who forget their tools

---------

From: Mikel Lee (mikellee31_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 06 2004 - 17:17:05 PDT

When we figure out the answer to this one we can all
retire happy! I read in the First Days of School a
llooonnnnggg time ago that the pencil war is
pointless. Harry Wong says that we have a dozen
pencils laying around and we should just give the kid
a pencil and move on....What I do is have a
jar/tray/box of lost and found pencils and it is first
come first serve and then sorry...Most of the time
they think of something quick because I take a
participation grade everyday and they want those easy
points. However, I love the flower idea Judy posted
earlier! At the gas station by my house they tape
plastic forks or spoons on the pens by the register so
that people won't walk off with them...My 8th grade
English teacher used to trade us one of our shoes for
some of her supplies..no one ever left the room with
her stuff! For my really chronic kids if I offer them
a SPECIAL place in my desk where they can keep their
very own "art" pencil- it's neat to see how many high
school kids feel special by getting to keep their
pencil in my desk...sorry so long... Mikel