On Pencils - the "Good Witch/Bad Witch" approach

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 06 2004 - 13:25:55 PDT

Greetings Joe,

I forgot to tell you about Jeannie Sandoval's solution
to the pencil problem.
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/pencils.htm
I think it would be a riot to try it with high school
kids. Jeannie makes her kids use a flower pencil when
they forget - she can easily spot then who has the
flowers as they work and can record the names (if she
desires).

I made my middlers "count their blessings". They had
to tell me one thing they were thankful for and then
of course write their name in the "Naughty Book" (page
for their class):
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/DISCIPLINE.htm
(lines are all in this one, Joe - I noticed some of
the lines were dropping out - so I fixed it).

Forgetting a pencil was a minor thing - I would much
rather have working kids...Of course - many of my
kiddies lost their pencils in choir or gym before my
class and that is why they didn't have them for my
class. Choir and Gym didn't want any academic
materials. I could really make two dozen pencils last
a long time. Continue to be a "Good Wizard" and give
them a pencil to work with. How many times have you
seen a teacher lean over and ask another teacher if
they have a pencil or pen they could borrow when you
are in a teachers' meeting and the administrator
finally says something of value?

teachers joined in on that one. I had witches and
wizards on the brain at the time... I did get that
lesson plan for IAD.

Cheers,

Judy Decker

=====