RE: To Mary Jane Re: Sketchbooks - Middle and Elementary too?

---------

From: jane mary (mjart49_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 05 2004 - 18:31:21 PDT

Maggie,

Here are the directions for the bobblehead doll. I decided to sent it to the list in case anyone else wanted to try them.

Materials:

2 huggie juice bottles, one cut 1 1/2" downfrom the top (prepared by teacher with an exacto knife ahead of time), paper towels, ross art paste

pipe cleaner, ball of plasticine clay, 1/2 of a 1" styrofoam ball

colorific gel markers, permanent markers

yarn, trim, glue gun

procedure:

1. student will plan design of bobblehead doll on handout. This is important because the student has to plan the front, back, and side views because we are working on a 3-D form.

2. Wrap pipecleaner around uder top lip pf whole bottle. Papermache bottle( the body). Also papermache the cut bottle(the head). Have papermache go over lip of both bottles. Stick ball of plasticine clay in the bottom of the whole papermached bottle(so it doesn't fall over).

3. Draw in pencil first on inverted cut papermached bottle- front, sides, and back of head using plan from worksheet.Go over lines with black sharpie.

4. Draw in pencil on whole papermached bottle- front, sides, and back of the body. They should include everything from the neck down to the shoes.Then black sharpie.

5. Color in the designs with gel markers or permanent markers.

6. Add hair with yarn using a glue gun. Add other details with trims, beads and anything you can think of.

Last year some of the students made animals that were hilarious. A monkey, mouse, horse( we had to add a shape on the front of the horses head that she papermached over)

We did these in fourth grade.

MJHadley
>From: Maggie White <mwhiteaz@cybertrails.com> >Reply-To: mwhiteaz@cybertrails.com >To: mjart49@hotmail.com >Subject: To Mary Jane Re: Sketchbooks - Middle and Elementary too? >Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 21:33:58 -0700 > >jane mary wrote: > > For instance, we made >>bobblehead dolls in 4th grade. I made a hand out where the student >>drew the front, side, and rear view first before they started >>working in 3-D. This was helpful to them because some were confused >>as to how to use the whole 3-d form. They wanted to draw the whole >>figure on the front! > >Hi, MJ! > >I liked your ideas for elementary sketchbooks; I had my students use >theirs in a similar way as you. > >I was also quite intrigued by your making bobbleheads. I sketched >some ideas for making them once, but never followed through. Would >you mind explaining how you made them, especially the mechanics for >attaching the head to the body? > >Thanks, > >Maggie > >

Check out Election 2004 for up-to-date election news, plus voter tools and more! ---