Re: How are you creating BUYERS of art?

---------

From: Marvin Bartel (marvinpb_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 05 2004 - 14:08:18 PDT

I think all people collect things that they value. For many, this may
simply be photos and mass produced stuff that they like. For some it
has to have a family connection or at least a friend connection. My
mother valued gifts as sacred objects if the giver was important to
her. As a result, she saved and proudly displayed some really trashy
kitsch. Everybody creates a surrounding that reflects personal
values. What better place than art class to study the aesthetics of
this phenomenon.

What if we would ask students if any of them would be willing to
share a work of original art from their homes with the rest of the
class for a day, a week, or whatever? For others to see art
collecting as a real option might open some eyes. This could make for
interesting discussions in the classroom as well as family
discussions for both the collectors and the non-collectors. Not
many people can afford to purchase big names, but even students can
and do purchase artwork from college art students.

I think it would be good to have students generate a list of
questions that would help them learn about art the motivations of
collectors. The collectors could respond to the questions in writing
or in person. It could be quite enlightening to learn about the
differences between Thomas Kincade collectors and those who collect
art that is more sophisticated and less accessible.

Marvin

---