How are you creating BUYERS of art?

---------

From: Judith Decker (jdecker4art_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 05 2004 - 06:18:02 PDT

Dear ArtsEdNetters,

This idea popped into my head when Kathleen asked
about "how long does it take?" We all know that making
good art takes time...there is research time - think
time - planning time - then all the art making time -
then the presentation/matting/framing/mounting
time.... What are you doing to get students to value
the time it takes to make art? We all learned a lot
about that when we went to college...but what
percentage of students go to college and major in art?

When I was in college, a grad student wanted to
purchase a fibers mask I made... It wasn't for sale,
but I was curious. I asked my prof what she thought I
should sell it for....Her reply to me was "double the
cost of materials".... Well...That certainly put a
damper on my desire to ever try to sell art....The
mask is up in my attic now (and quite dusty) so maybe
I should have sold it? (I did have it displayed in my
living room for a number of years, though - way back
in the 70s). I did sell a number of sculptures while
in college (I got way more than double my materials -
but certainly not a lot for my time).

What are some of your clever ways to get students to
value the artist's time? How are you creating buyers
of art? In my World of Art class at Bluffton College
(for Masters in Education program), the prof asked if
any of us had original art in our homes...Very few
raised their hands. Of course - the three art teachers
did. I was the only one who had fine art original
prints, though. He gave all of us our choice of his
linoleum prints! So hopefully everyone in the class
now has a fine art original print hanging in their
home.

My girlfriend moans that kids working at MacDonald's
make more money than she does... Her watercolors are
gorgeous - beautifully matted and framed...She has
tried to price them with a reasonable value for her
time but the work is not selling.

Yes - I would like to put these ideas on a page on
IAD...so if you post and I can not use your words of
wisdom please indicate that. I will share my ideas,
too.

Judy Decker

=====
Judy Decker